Misawa Air Fest 2011


A few weekends ago there was a huge air show here at the base.  Many groups had booths set up to tell food and other items, and Ryan's work was selling cupcakes.  I decided to make black bottoms, because we were told to make cupcakes without icing (I am fairly certainly that would be a muffin!).  The reason for this is that the Japanese like cake, but not too sweet, so the frosting os overkill for them.  So, like I said, I went with black bottoms.

I started off by making the cheesecake like filling.
DSC02271DSC02272
Then I worked on the chocolate cake bottom.
DSC02273DSC02274
When you fill these in the pan, the cake goes on the bottom and then the cream cheese filling is added on top.
DSC02275DSC02276
Then you have these cute, perfect little muffins.
DSC02277
Yum!
DSC02278
Now the thing we did not know was that this was a huge event and they really just needed plain boxed mix cupcakes minus the frosting, and mass produced.  Like dozens and dozens.  So mine were a tad on the fancy side.  No worries...because they looked so good, they did get eaten by people who were working the booth.  Since we are new, no one thought to be specific.  I guess I know how my version of a cupcake differs from others!  Next time I won't go so gourmet for bake sales aimed at the Japanese.  Turns out they really like plain cake.

I'll get back to that in a minute.  The night before the air show...after baking the cupcakes...we went to a friends house for a little cookout.

It was so nice that they thought of my food prefs and made grilled shrimp and veggies.  My friend also prefers shrimp over the more manly meats (they did ribs and chicken I think) so she was happy to have me there as a good excuse to add shrimp in.  Even better, they were thoughtful enough to cook these separately from the meat.  They also had some potatoes.  Yum!  It was a great meal and good times with new friends.
DSC02279DSC02280
So that brings us to the Air Show.  Here is Ryan's work's food booth.
DSC02287
This is the fun menu they made for ordering.  The Japanese are all about the combo meals, which they call sets.
DSC02288
We were there really early.  At 7 am it was still quiet, but lots of people around getting set up.
DSC02289
That gave me the chance to explore the food booths before the big crowds arrived (like thousands of Japanese bussed in, and then many Americans too).
DSC02290 DSC02291
At some point, it was discovered that whole cakes sell well.  I am not kidding.  The Japanese bought up these cakes in 3's and 4's.  Just plain cakes, in round pans and square pans.  Look at all those cakes!  And it wasn't just from one booth.  Dozens of booths all over had these for sale.  Yeah, as it turns out, there may have been too many cake booths this year because there were a lot left over.  We'll see what happens next year.
DSC02292
They make these crazy hamburgers.  While I don't eat meat, it was still interesting to see how they prepare these.
DSC02293
Here is this same traditional street food that Ryan had at the other festival.  I am still wondering how people would want to eat this at 8 am, but they did.  I guess I can't really be one to talk.  My breakfast is coming up.
DSC02294

DSC02295
Yeah, my breakfast was shrimp pad thai.  I just couldn't resist!
DSC02296
More crazy burgers (may be the same ones as above now that I think about it).
DSC02297
Then we got to some fly by's and demos.  I know the pictures are blurry, but you can kind of make out the planes.
DSC02298 DSC02299
This one is special because it is the Miss Veedol.  This is the actual plane that made the first transpacific flight.  It flew from Misawa to Washington State.  For the air show they did fly it.  Otherwise it is on display at the museum here.
DSC02301
In addition to the planes in the air, there were plenty on display on the ground.
DSC02302 DSC02303
Here is one taking off.  This was by far the coolest thing I have ever seen.  This was the F-16 demo.
DSC02304
The pictures are blurry, I think because it was flying so fast.  This plane did all kinds of tricks, with twists and turns, and flying upside down and all kinds of crazy things.
DSC02308
This is probably the clearest picture I took on my camera.  My iPhone seemed to take better pictures.
DSC02309
Some more pictures of the planes on the ground.
DSC02311
The line was too long to go in, but we just took a peek.  Ryan has been inside one before and I didn't need to wait around in the sun (I got very sunburned), but I did want to see inside.
DSC02312
The next thing we looked at was a display of Japanese bombs.  The American stuff was on the other side of the building, so this is just the Japanese.  On this base we have Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and then the Japanese Air Self Defense Force.
DSC02313

DSC02314

DSC02317
You can see the American plane on the other side.  Here they are placing a bomb on a bomb loader to get it on the plane.
DSC02318
Here you can see it in the air being brought over to the plane.
DSC02328
I actually videoed this part, but here you can see after the whole demo, the bomb was loaded on the plane.
DSC02332
The last thing we watched before we headed back home for some shade, was the Chinook demo of how it carries water to assist from the air in putting out ground fires.  So here you can see the helicopter flying with a big bucket of water.  When it released the water it really just looked like a big mist of water in the air.
DSC02334

DSC02335
That was actually my first air show, and it was a lot of fun...until I realized I was super sunburned.  Not sure why I didn't put on sunscreen, but I am sure it was because I only had a few hours sleep and it was early, and I did not realize how long I would be in the sun for.  Oh well!  I'll remember for the next time.

QUESTIONS:  Have you ever been to an air show?  Have you ever been in a helicopter?  Do you live near a military base?

6 comments:

Simply Life said...

wow, what an event! looks like so much great food to try!

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

Holy smokes Melinda, what an amazing looking event. I LOVE the photos you post!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I second Roz, this looks amazing! I've never been to an air show, but I think I would really like to go to one one day. So amazing.
Strangely I think I have been in a helicopter, but I can't remember when! Isn't that weird? It's almost like it was in another life...

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks like a lot of fun. So interesting that simple, plain cakes are so popular! Your muffins look wonderful by the way!

I have never been to an air show, and I have never been in a helicopter.

Special K said...

You've already made friends? WOW! Of course, you are a pro at getting settled in and ready for connection it seems.

I am not a huge meat eater, either, but I would love to eat one of those burgers with EGGS on them?

Ha! I love the fact that details are missing when they tell you Make Cupcakes. Of course, you make the best ones ever, and the specifics get left out. That is strange thing about getting acclimated to a new location overseas. I am still making mistakes and it appears that I always will

Rachel/CoconutCrumbs said...

Melinda, yay I'm loving the Japanese posts!! Glad you are settling there. You're right about everything being less sweet. ENJOY Japan, and thank you so much for your help this summer. I am back in Boston now : )

Post a Comment