Well, it's a...

EAR INFECTION...that's right I have some fluid in my ear messing with my equilibrium and some nasal congestion. So the doc prescribed me some meds and I was on my way. Actually, let me back track since I didn't share these yesterday.

Since we all know greasy, slimy foods are not good for us, it is best to limit them, but sometimes they really hit the spot. Sunday afternoon we were on base for a few things and decided to stop by the Oceanview Grill for lunch. Keep in mind I have very limited options here and the salad bar is really lacking. In fact my only real option is the fish sandwich. While it is fried, I like that it is an actual fish filet not some processed slab of fish, and it is not as slimy as one would expect from a 24/7 cafe.

Ryan ordered this cheesesteak.

Yesterday I started my morning off with a nice filling whole wheat bagel...
topped with this...
which equalled a really nice and tasty breakfast for me.
Then I headed off to school to sub and do some training for my new job. I guess I should fill everyone in on my new PART time job. I am now a tutor with the AVID program at the middle and high schools here (American of course). If you are not familiar with the AVID program, here is a definition I found online:
What is AVID?AVID is a program designed to help underachieving middle and high school students prepare for and succeed in colleges and universities. Students in the program commit themselves to improvement and preparation for college. AVID offers a rigorous program of instruction in academic “survival skills” and college level entry skills. The AVID program teaches the student how to study, read for content, take notes, and manage time. Students participate in collaborative study groups or tutorials led by tutors who use skillful questioning to bring students to a higher level of understanding.

AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. Time is spent preparing students for college and really encouraging them to do their best. There is a section of 7-8th graders that I have been working with so far. It's really a lot of fun and I am looking forward to doing more hours. I am also excited because even though I missed the deadlines for applying for my intership with Oklahoma, I think I will be able to do this for my internship starting next fall. This means I know I will have an internship I enjoy and it also means I don't have to turn down the program next year to do an internship somewhere else. After I get more training in and work more with the kids I will be sure to post an update.

After I returned home yesterday, from school and the doctor, I thought some major Vitamin C was in order. Ryan brought this home and was like, "not sure but I think this is a grapefruit" and guess what? he was totally right!

It was delicious. Just what the doctor ordered!!!
Ok, so before I tell you about where you can find a giveaway for chocolate, let me show you what I discovered while at the store the other day. These mini candy bars completely satisfied my sweet tooth and thankfully they only have 70 calories.
Isn't is cute? (The bar, not the dorm style furniture, LOL, they provided us with standard furniture when we moved here because we weren't allowed to bring our furniture.)


If that got you in the mood for a chocolate giveaway, head over to see Chocolate Covered Katie and her big fat chocolate giveaway.
QUESTION: Do you prefer milk or dark chocolate?

13 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I prefer them BOTH! haha, but if I had to choose, I would choose dark :)
I would LOVE it if you could send me your media training guides! That would be so helpful, as I'm going to be doing more segments like this in the future. Thanks Melinda!

Oh, and I'm glad you got the infection figured out. Although ear infections such, I'd rather that than a sinus infection, right??

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ugh feel better soon! :(

Astra Libris said...

I hope you feel better soon!! Poor you! Sending big get well hugs...

The Kinder bar is so cute! :-) It reminds me of the Kinder chocolate eggs that are everywhere in Israel... :-)

Your new job sounds so exciting and inspiring! Good for you for making such an important difference in these kids' lives! I can't wait to hear more about the job! :-)

Astra Libris said...

P.S. Dark chocolate all the way... :-)

Melissa said...

Ear infections are the worst thing after dental problems in my opinion. They throw off your entire body. I hope you get well soon!

AVID sounds like a great program for kids. Some kids don't have very, how should I word this...involved parents that teach them study skills or even take an interest in their education. This program will definitely help them learn the skills they need to succeed. Congrats on your new job!

Beth said...

LOL-I totally thought the grapefruit was an exotic bird egg at first! I'm going to blame it on my lack of sleep last night.

KINDER!! The best chocolate in the world! And only 70 calories? Bonus! Have you had the Kinder Bueno? I think it's my all time favorite--it has a hazelnut cream filling.

kristen :) said...

congrats on the job, sounds like a wonderful program! So many kids that age are just unmotivated. I am always amazed at some of the 8th graders in our program failing health.
I am a dark chocolate fan all the way, so rich and I only need a tiny bit :)
Hope you get to feeling better, ear infections are terrible. Chris had one last winter and his drum burst and it was just awful.

Unknown said...

milk chocolate fo-sho!

Anonymous said...

I love all chocolate but I prefer dark if I have the choice.
I hope you start feeling better!!

Nicci said...

Boo,on the ear infection. Get better soon and congrats on the new part time gig!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got some meds for your ear infection!

I prefer dark chocolate, but Kinder chocolate bars are quite good... :)

Anonymous said...

I like milk chocolate. Haha, I'm just not sophisticated enough to enjoy dark!

Ooh~ Kinder Bueno..I haven't seen those in a while!

Hope your ear heals soon...:-(

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the last time I had an ear infection. But I do remember how painful it was. Feel better soon!

What a great program to be working with. So much good you can do!

I feel like the correct blogger answer is to say I like dark chocolate. And I do. But I love milk chocolate!

Post a Comment